1.
When hair
and other fibers stick to the bottom of a broom when sweeping
WHY it exists: Over
time with use the bottom of a broom gets very dull which makes it easier for
hair and dirt to accumulate on the bottom and get stuck in between the bristles.
2.
Oil that flies out of the pan and gets the stove
top dirty when cooking food
WHY it exists: Moisture
in the food being cooked combined with the hot oil in the pan causes the oil to
splatter out.
3.
When it
is much colder inside my house then it is outside
WHY it exists: The house most likely has an insulation
issue, it is an older house that was not constructed properly.
4.
When
fluff gets stuck to dark-colored sweaters when they are dried with other
clothes in the dryer
WHY it exists:
All the clothes rub up against each other in the dyer and lint and fluff is
created from the clothes fibers breaking down. Sweaters are made of materials
that are easily susceptible to lint.
5.
Chips
that break when scooping any kind of dip
WHY it exists: Chips
can be very flimsy and thin and can’t withstand the weight of carrying thick
dips.
6.
When West
University Ave is closed off on football game days and I have to take
alternative routes to get places
WHY it exists: The
roads are blocked off on game days to allow people to safely walk in the streets
to easily get to the football stadium.
7.
Uber
drivers that refuse to drive people that are drunk because they think that they
will get sick inside the car
WHY it exists: Uber
drivers do not want people to throw up inside or on the outside of their cars
and do not want to have to deal with drunk people in addition to going through
the process of reporting the throw up to receive the cleaning fee money to get
their car washed.
8.
Not
knowing whether the lines at particular bars at midtown are going to be long or
not on certain nights
WHY it exists: The
number of students who go out is never consistent week by week and it is
impossible to predict if the lines are going to be long or short on any given
night.
9.
People
that honk at you if you don’t move immediately after a stoplight turns green
when driving
WHY it exists: People
are always in a hurry and sometimes don’t give themselves enough time to get
places causing them to have to rush. People are also impatient.
10. When my jeans come out of the dryer and they
fit perfectly at first but get loose around the waist throughout the day
WHY it exists: Fibers
in the jean strands tighten up in the dryer due to the heat and when the jeans
are worn the fibers are forced back apart.
11. Putting a picture in a frame and it moves off
center after you close it and stand it up
WHY it exists: If
a picture is not thick enough or the frame does not press tight on the picture
when closed there is loose space in the frame and not enough traction to hold
the picture in place.
12. When cords easily slip out of an electrical
socket when plugged in
WHY it exists: Over
time the metal contacts inside the receptacles become damaged and worn out
causing whatever is plugged in to fall out.
13. Sleeping with curly hair and the next morning
the curls are frizzy and no longer defined
WHY it exists: Tossing
and turning at night creates friction between the curls and the pillow,
crushing the curls and causing them to frizz up.
14. When sand that’s on the sidewalk near Pascal’s
Coffeehouse gets under my feet when I’m wearing flip flops
WHY it exists: There
is a large amount of sand in the lots near Pascal’s and sand particles are
small and easily slide into sandals and open-toed shoes when you walk over it.
15. When people drive too close behind you
WHY it exists: People
are impatient and drive close behind other cars that they think are going too
slow and want them to drive faster or so they can cut around them.
16. Cutting a hot pepper and my hands start to
burn
WHY it exists: Capsaicin
in the pepper transfers to the skin when you touch and cut into it causing a
burning sensation on the skin and whatever body parts you touch.
17. Having to take Primo water jug to Publix to
refill it when it runs out
WHY it exists: People
that don’t have a fridge with a water dispenser built in have to get filtered
water from other places and have to refill it themselves when it runs out.
18. Not being able to make certain necklaces
shorter or longer
WHY it exists: Necklaces
can only be made as tight or as loose as however many notches are available on
the end of the necklace.
19. People that feel the need to always take a good picture to post on social media
WHY it exists: We
live in a self-centered society and people post pictures on social media
because they are seeking the approval and attention of others.
20. When
making a right or left turn on the intersection of NW 15th St and
West University Ave but have to wait for pedestrians to cross first and you end
up not making the green light
WHY it exists: This
intersection is the closest to the library so many students use it to cross the
street to get to and from the library. Pedestrians are given the same amount of
time to cross the street as the cars trying to turn either left or right.
Reflection:
When I first sat down and tried
to complete the assignment I found that nothing immediately came to mind when
trying to think of things that bugged me. I know for a fact that day to day
there are a lot of things that annoy and irritate me, but I had trouble
recalling the specificity of what those things were. To help me, for a couple
of days I made a conscious effort to write down things that bothered me exactly
when they happened as the day went on. After a few days, I had successfully come
up with a list of more than twenty bugs.
I also found
it especially difficult to come up with why the bugs exist, rather than why the
bugs bother me. I usually don’t think of the reasoning behind the irritating
things in life and only focus on how they make me feel. It was interesting to
think this way and I found myself doing some research on some of the reasoning
behind why things happen, for example, on why hot peppers make your hands burn.
This assignment gave me a little insight into certain questions that need
to be asked in order to resolve problems. I understand a little more clearly
how entrepreneurs view the world day to day and are constantly seeking new
solutions to problems.
Hey Marioly,
ReplyDeleteIt was nice to read your bugs and see how they related and differed from mine. I don't consider myself a bar-scene kind of person (especially in my older age of 24 when considering going to midtown), so I often find that I'd much rather go hang out with some friends at a brewery or a sports bar or at their house. The beer is cheaper, parking is usually easier, there's usually no line, and I struggle in crowds. It's pretty neat to write these and change your perspective from just a feeling to analyzing why something bothers you in a more unbiased way and eventually come to a root cause.
Hi Marioly,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your list. A lot of your bugs were very different from mine but i still found a lot of them relate able. I can definitely agree with any of your bugs about driving. I drive a lot, especially on the turnpike, and I've seen bad drivers do pretty much any sort of mistake while driving and it's really annoying. I am really into the bar scene so your bugs about those and Midtown are new to me, but I definitely see how they can be annoying. I've had friends who were not allowed on their uber for being drunk and I think that is terrible. The uber should be responsible for getting people home safe, especially if they are drunk.