Thursday, January 30, 2020

Assignment 3A- My Entrepreneurship Story


Any time I have been exposed to entrepreneurship directly in my life is through my dad. My dad works in the pharmaceutical business but sometimes he talks with me about future business ventures he has thought about pursuing or ideas for new products he has. When we first moved to Florida from California back in 2007 he had an idea about opening either a coin laundromat or a frozen yogurt shop (this was back when the frozen yogurt trend was just beginning). We talked about it and we both agreed that these ideas were too risky, especially for a family that had just moved across the United States. He had an idea once to create a sort of software or app where everyone who comes to do work on your house, like landscapers, pool cleaners, fumigators, etc. could notify the homeowners that they had come and completed their work. He thought of this because he noticed that he would never know if all these workers had come because he was at work during the day and would have to call them to confirm.
To be quite frank, I chose to enroll in this class because it is my last semester here at UF and one of my remaining requirements I needed to satisfy was a four-credit elective class. Even though I don’t have any entrepreneurial ambitions I’m excited to see what I will learn in this class, I’m positive I will learn things this semester that will benefit me for years to come. One thing in particular I hope this class will help me with is my shyness. I dread speaking to people I don’t know so I hope some of the activities where we have to go out and speak to people will help me break out of my shell a little bit.



3 comments:

  1. It is interesting to see how your father would continually note the opportunities around him, even if he did not act on all of them. This creativity and innovative spirit demonstrates exactly how those who come out with a product/service look to the newer trends/ needs of the market and the society for inspiration or even to create that new trend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Marioly,

    My exposure to entrepreneurship was also through my father. Similar to how your father would contemplate new business opportunities my father would often examine the local markets to see if there was an opportunity to start up a new business or to innovate the ServiceMaster Clean services to better fit the local environment and increase sales. Perhaps this is a common way of thinking for most entrepreneurs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marioly, your post actually brought me back a lot of memories with my own dad! We too had a lot of entrepreneurial discussions such as developing business ideas and improvements. My dad also has the same problem CONSTANTLY where he is unsure if the hired workers would show up or not. The app is great idea and there really should be a better system for this!

    ReplyDelete