Domain Expert: I emailed a service agent from the local Triple A (AAA) office here in Gainesville, Jenea Clarke. I believe she qualifies as a domain expert because AAA offers a service that is quite similar, though not identical, to the one I would like to offer. I emailed her and introduced myself, then I outlined my service idea and asked her opinion on it. I also asked her questions about the type of training their employees receive as I know this will be a crucial aspect for my business to run effectively. I don’t think she has any return expectations except my gratitude and appreciation.
Market Expert: I called a local auto repair shop, City Auto Repair, and spoke with one of their workers on the administrative end, Melanie. My service revolves around the fact that people’s cars break down from time to time and need repairs so I thought it would be beneficial to contact an auto repair shop as they are knowledgeable about this market. I asked questions on the time frame of certain car repairs and how their customers usually deal with being left without a car for the time being. This will help me better understand the opportunity I am trying to exploit by getting information from a business that sees people struggle with having to leave their car at the shop firsthand.
Industry Supplier: I emailed a manager from one of the local Enterprise Rent-A-Car offices here in Gainesville. I thought it would be appropriate to contact someone that works for a car rental service because an aspect of my service involves loaning out cars to customers while repairs are taking place on their cars. I asked questions in the email involving the logistics behind operating a car rental service and all the organization that needs to take place. I also asked about the capital that is required to purchase the cars to rent out. I found this person by looking at their website and calling the office and asking for a mangers email address to ask some questions for a school project.
Reflection: I was a little unsure about who to contact initially because my service is pretty complex and there is no one who offers something exactly like it. I believe by contacting all these different companies that are involved in a specific component of my service, will provide me with some critical tips and information that will help me when piecing all these parts of my ARCS service together. The experience of having to reach out and network with different individuals gave me some insight into the different perspectives people have in their respective businesses.
I like how you went into detail in your reflection about how reaching out to these people gave you valuable insight into people who are in similar fields as to what your business entails. I also thought you did a good job picking relevant people for each category. That can be the hard part especially if nobody really offers the service you were willing to provide in the first place.
ReplyDelete