Friday, February 7, 2020

Assignment 6A – Identifying Opportunities in Economic & Regulatory Trends


Economic Trends

1) The growing artificial intelligence industry
b) I think an opportunity exists because companies are constantly seeking to increase productivity to gain a higher profit margin.
c) The prototypical customer would be any large company or corporation that would like to improve their productivity or incorporate new technology into their business.
d) I think this would be very easy to exploit as many people would be interested in this new technology as it is constantly advancing and will help increase revenue.
e) I saw this opportunity because I enjoy watching sci-fi movies and they sometimes include the use of artificial intelligence, I think this will be and is starting to be a large part of our future. 

2) Health care job growth outpacing other industries
b) There are is a growing number of elderly in the United States, creating more health care jobs as this growing number of individuals constantly need care. There is an opportunity for Americans to take this growing number of jobs.
c) The prototypical customer is anyone who is looking for a job in the health field, people that are unemployed
d) I think it would be relatively easy to exploit this opportunity as long as healthcare continues to grow. People will always get old and healthcare will always be a necessity, but if something were to happen to the healthcare field it could be very bad for the people employed in this sector.
e) I saw this opportunity because I see the constant care my grandparents require and always hear my parents talking about their healthcare plans, like Humana. This growth in healthcare will lead to an increase in jobs and help the economy grow.

Regulatory Changes

1) Tobacco age has been raised to 21
b) I think an opportunity now exists in the tobacco industry now that the age limit to purchase tobacco has been changed from 18 to 21. Because the age restriction has been changed, a large portion of their market can no longer purchase tobacco-related products. They now need to target an older market.
c) The prototypical customer would be big tobacco companies, vape shops, buyers of tobacco products
d) I think this opportunity would be easy to exploit. These shops legally cannot target a younger market any more so their only option is to target people 21 and over.
e) I saw this opportunity because I have seen a lot of news articles about the age limit being changed. Surprisingly, living in a college town not a lot of people have been talking about this new law because there will always be ways to get tobacco products even if you aren’t of age.

2) Airlines canceling flights due to Coronavirus
b) I think an opportunity exists here because as the Coronavirus outbreaks continue and panic keeps spreading, major airlines are beginning to cancel flights and stop flying to parts of Asia. Most of the world is concerned with the spreading of this virus and are trying to protect themselves with these measures.
c) With this opportunity, the prototypical customer would be major airlines who are ceasing travel to China, businesses, and any individual who are affected by the travel restrictions.
d) I think this opportunity would be difficult to exploit as a solution/cure to combat this virus has not yet been found. I think with time things will settle down.
e) I saw this opportunity through the news and hearing about more and more people being affected by the spreading of the Coronavirus. People are being killed by the virus and it is seriously affecting the economy and businesses that have relationships and roots in China.

3 comments:

  1. I think it was very interesting looking at the way you decided to approach the Healthcare industry as an opportunity. Especially when it comes to the demographic changes occurring across most developing countries around the world, it is no surprise that here in the United States we are also beginning to face the challenge of maintaining an older population imbalance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked all your opportunities as I think they are important, especially the one about AI. We are just scratching the surface for AI's potential. It could change the way business approach their labor, as well as many other aspects of their company. I also did one of my regulation opportunities on the tobacco age getting raised which I believe is fair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Marioly,

    I liked what you mentioned about how Artificial Intelligence is becoming pervasive in our society. As AI becomes more and more implemented in our lives more opportunities arise for entrepreneurs to invent better ways to integrate them into our lifestyles. I also found what you said about the health care industry interesting, as I had not thought about the opportunities created by the aging of America. Great job on this list!

    ReplyDelete